Designed specifically for EMC Centera, StorFirst Altus is a data protection/disaster recovery solution that provides complete Centera backup functionality to tape drives, tape libraries and Virtual Tape Libraries. (VTL).
An Altus backup job is fundamentally different from traditional backups, as there is no distinction between an incremental backup and full backup.By incrementally capturing new objects and C-Clips as they are written to Centera, Altus builds a single, complete, synchronized copy of all of the Centera content. Since C-Clips and their associated metadata will never change, all backup jobs performed after the initial backup are incremental, and any new object and C-Clip will automatically synchronize to the backup device.
Regardless of the application that creates the Centera C-Clips, Altus replicates the C-Clips, including all Centera created metadata such as Content Address, creation time, and retention period, to tape or VTL. Tightly integrated with the Centera API’s, StorFirst Altus is the optimal solution for preserving authenticity and retention management of Centera content, even after a complete site disaster.
When data is restored from Altus to an EMC Centera, C-Clips and objects are restored using a specialized function that provides complete reinstatement and validation of all information to ensure that authenticity and retention management are preserved.
Altus Product Highlights
• Perform manual replication of content stored on Centera using a “Replicate Now” job,
or automated replication by scheduling daily or weekly recurring jobs
• Restore content back to Centera using “Restore All”, a specified date range, or an individual
• Replicate one Centera to one device, one Centera to multiple devices, multiple Centera
to a single device, or multiple Centera to multiple devices
• Intuitive Windows GUI for administration, with auto-configuration of attached tape
devices, and setup wizard for replication and restore jobs
• Supports all leading LTO tape libraries and Virtual Tape Libraries from manufacturers
including ADIC, Dell, Hewlett-Packard, Qualstar, Quantum, Sony, and StorageTek
• Does NOT require additional data protection applications such as EMC NetWorker,
CA ArcServe, Symantec NetBackup, or IBM Tivoli Storage Manager
• Provides alerts for conditions that require operator intervention, such as free space
threshold, requests for off-line tape media, and SCSI device errors
• Provides job logs with reporting on number of C-Clips checked, C-Clips to process,
C-Clips replicated, C-Clips restored, and total MB written to the device or
restored to the Centera